What We Fund
Nonprofit organizations, serving seniors …
Impact1890 awards grants to nonprofit organizations, including faith-based organizations, that serve seniors aging in place.
Regionally located …
These organizations and the seniors they serve must be located in Maryland, Delaware, Virginia or the District of Columbia in order to submit a proposal for review by the Impact1890 Board of Directors.
Addressing areas of critical need.
Impact1890, with the help of a third-party consulting firm, conducts periodic needs assessment to identify the areas of critical need faced by seniors in our communities.
All grant proposals must address at least one of the areas of need as identified by the community needs assessment.
1) Social Isolation
4) Navigating/accessing health care and social services
5) Chronic disease management
6) Dealing with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and memory loss
Length of Grants
Beginning with the 2020 grants, the Board of Directors has changed its funding philosophy with regard to the length of grants. The Board would like to encourage both shorter term and longer term funding, depending on the purpose of the grant.
- If an organization has never received a grant from Impact1890 or its predecessor, National Lutheran Communities & Services Community Impact program, it can apply only for a grant of one year.
- If an organization has received a prior grant from Impact1890 or its predecessor, it has the option of applying for:
- A grant of one year, or
- A multi-year grant of no longer than three years. If the proposal is for two or three years and the proposal is favorably reviewed, the Board reserves the right to award a grant of a shorter period. A multi-year proposal may request the same award amount for each year or variable amounts. Note, however, that years two and three of funding are contingent upon making reasonable progress toward the stated goals of the grant.
There is no longer a three-year cap on the number of years that an organization can receive a grant.
If you have questions about what we fund please contact us by clicking here, we’d be happy to answer your questions.